My AssetStore Link

I've moved - GO TO THE NEW WEBSITE

Unity Store Link - Click to see all the Song's work that has been put on Unity AssetStore




Friday 18 January 2013

Perk System for TDTK (WIP)

For the past week, I've been working on something exciting. A Perk/Tech/Shop system for TDTK. 

The idea is simple. You can setup a list of items using an editor. These items could then be unlocked/purchased in game using in game resource. You can configure if certain item is available for unlocked or already unlocked in certain scene .

As you would with other elements in TDTK, you can configure the item. For instance, name, description in game, cost, pre-requisite criteria, what they do and the corresponding value or stuff associate with it. The 'what they do' is the interesting bit. For now I'm still playing with ideas, but here's a taste of what they could be:
  • gain life
  • unlocking a new tower
  • reduce cost for building towers
  • increase tower attacking damage
  • more resource gain from clearing wave
  • etc...
As for the pre-requisite criteria, they could be number of waves in the game, or how many items the player has purchased or indeed has a particular item has been purchased. Getting the idea? Yes effective you can build a tech-tree of some sort. For instance a perk system where you need to unlock certain less powerful perk before you can unlock more advance one. Or a wave based tower unlock system where as the player advance into the level, they can unlock more tower types to build. This opens up a huge bunch possibility of course, which get me really pump. But on the other hand, it's a lot of work and I'm cracking my head for it.

A preview of the PerkEditor (WIP)
Still, I'm not promising anything at this point. Keep in mind that it's still experimental for most part. And I shudder to think about the UI I need to build for it. Still, it's something worth going for and I'm very excited. I hope all potential TDTK user are too.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks very promising!!! Can you have the the pre req look at some arbitrary variable? Say we want to use that variable to keep track of the level the player is currently on or what levels he has passed. Also a time option might be nice. So for instance you kill a certain amount of waves you unlock a power up that increases your towers for 30 seconds.

    Thanks for a great kit and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. At this point I'm focusing on more basic and generic stuff to get things right, before expanding on various ideas. No doubt some point in the future after I establish a base framework, I'll add on more based on user feedback and suggestion.

    ReplyDelete