My AssetStore Link

I've moved - GO TO THE NEW WEBSITE

Unity Store Link - Click to see all the Song's work that has been put on Unity AssetStore




Thursday 19 May 2011

RTS-X Development Update: Path-Finding

Been busy with lots of stuff recently.

I've realised that the pathfinding hasn't really work in more complex environment. Which is certainly something I plan to have down the line. So I've been spending a great deal of time researching pathfinding especially A* algorithm.

So following that I set on reworking the unit pathfinding. After many hours I've manage to put on a modified, light weight  A* algorithm. I'm quite pleased with it although there might be more tweaking to be done. Here's a screenshot of the algorithm in action, the line of green dots indicate the waypoints or path calculated.


It's quite difficult to make the algorithm light enough not to put a strain on the system resource considering there are many active unit on screen constantly performing the search. Must say I've been tempted to use some readily written unity pathfinding algorithm. Anyhow I'm learning about how to manipulate the mesh and stuff so probably in the future I will replace the current navigation grid with a navmesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment